Bursary/Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)
Bursary and EMA support may be available for a course that is at a non-advanced (FE) level.
Students under the age of 18 at the start date of the course will be assessed for EMA, which is currently awarded at £30 per week depending on household income.
Students aged 18 and over at the start date of the course will be assessed for a Bursary Maintenance Allowance which is awarded depending on household income and example of current rates are as follows:
- Parentally Supported £85.90 per week
- Self-Supporting £108.55 per week
- Care Experienced £202.50 per week
- Students remaining on Universal Credit £28 per week
In addition to maintenance allowance students may also qualify for study expenses and/or travelling expenses which will be assessed at time of application assessment. Maximum of £40 per week travel depending on mileage from campus to home. Under 2 miles from campus will not be eligible.
Further expenses for those students with additional support needs may also be available upon request.
Certain categories of part –time students on non-advanced courses may apply for assistance with study and travel costs. Some students with childcare costs may apply for assistance.
This assistance from the Discretionary Fund Accommodation Assistance is intended to aid those students who are responsible for the mortgage or rental cost of the property they reside in whilst studying.
- Students studying at both FE and HE level courses can apply.
- Responsible student must be named on the mortgage or tenancy agreement for the property.
- All household income is taken into consideration when assessing students eligibility for this fund. Students that have a household income above £32,000 will not be considered. (This is in line with the Universal Credit System).
- £40 per week maximum allowance will be awarded to eligible students.
Students who require childcare provision to allow them to attend college can apply to the Childcare Fund for support.
- The fund can only cover formal, registered childcare costs for the days students are timetabled to attend college and course placement days.
- The maximum allowance that will be paid for any one student is £7,000. The maximum allowance is not per child.
- Only those students who qualify for bursary support at FE level and students’ at HE level who qualify for funding from SAAS/SLC can apply to the Childcare Fund for support.
Students who wish to use the College nursery facilities at either Greenock or Paisley campus should make an application as soon as possible to ensure a place is available.
For more information on our nursery provision click here