What will I learn?
If you would like to train as an adult, mental health, learning disability or child nurse but lack the necessary qualifications, this could be the course for you.
Access to Nursing is part of the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP) and is specifically for people over the age of 21 who have been out of full-time education for at least 5 years. The course prepares adult returners for entry into Higher Education within college or university.
You'll learn about:
- Human Body/Anatomy
- First Aid
- Preparation for Higher Education
What qualifications do I need?
There are no formal entry requirements however English/Communication and Numeracy Skills are essential. If English is not your first language, then you are required to have ESOL qualification at SCQF level 6.
Applicants must live within the catchment areas of their local campus as agreed with SWAP West
For a place on the SWAP Access to Nursing course, you will need to provide two references and attend the information session.
Although not required for this course, you must be eligible to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme.
A personal statement on your application is mandatory for this course and should include the following:.
- Why do you want to study a care course?
- What field of care do you want to work in – healthcare, social care, or childcare?
- What skills and qualities do you possess and how could these be used in a care setting?
- Do you have any care / work experience to date?
- Any other information that would support your application
What can I do after?
After successfully completing this course, you will have the knowledge and skills needed to apply for job in care, or you could develop your skills further by studying another course such as:.
- Progression to a university degree programme where SWAP negotiates places for successful candidates
- HNC Healthcare Practice (SCQF level 7)
Duration: 1 year
Our students go on to achieve great things
Don't take our word for it, read what they say.
Richard Myczko now at University