What will I learn?
You'll learn about:
- Maths for engineering 1
- Energy System (Renewables)
- Principles of engineering systems
- Engineering measurement and system monitoring
- Engineering Communication
- Communication Practical skills
- Graded Unit
- Engineering practical Skills
- Engineering drawing
- Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Maths for engineering 2
- DC and AC principles
- Application of Programmable Logic Controllers
- IT: Applications Software 1
What qualifications do I need?
You'll need a minimum of two Highers (or equivalent) at grade C in Mathematics and one other subject either English, Physics or a Technology subject; or a National Certificate in an Engineering discipline at SCQF Level 5 , or if you have successfully completed an Engineering Foundation Apprenticeship
We will also consider your application if you have relevant industry experience.
Note; Those with similar qualifications in other curriculum areas may be considered on an individual basis.
For a place on the course, you will require to attend an interview.
What can I do after?
After successfully completing this course you'll have the skills needed to get a technician level role in the engineering industry. You should also be able to apply for Modern Apprenticeships or Graduate Apprenticeships which exist within the following engineering sectors: aerospace; manufacturing; electrical power; renewable energies, engineering maintenance, engineering design and process engineering:
Or you could develop your skills further by studying another course which includes:
- HND Engineering Systems
- University BEng/ MEng Mechanical Engineering
- University BEng/ MEng Mechanical Systems Engineering
- University BEng/ MEng Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering
- University BEng/ MEng Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- University BEng/ MEng Electrical Power Engineering
Duration: 1 year/3 days per week
Start Date: August
End Date: June
Duration: 2 years/1 day per week
Cost: £690 per year/2 year course
Our students go on to achieve great things
Don't take our word for it, read what they say. We've asked three questions to:
- Lynne Daisley, now Offshore Electrical Technichian at Wood Group
- Peter Houston, now Field Specialist at Schlumberger Oilfield Services Ltd.
- Louise Larkin, now Apprentice marine Engineer at Ferguson Marine shipbuilders
- Heather McAlister, now Student in Bachelors Degree in Technological Education at the University of Glasgow
- Emma Lee McGowan, now Trainee BIM/CAD Technician at Tony Gee and Partners LLP
- Kelsey Finlay, now at Strathclyde University studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Viktoria Kallai, now a student in BEng Engineering Management at the University of the West of Scotland.
(Click on the student's name to read their interview)