HNC Care and Administrative Practice
SCQF Level: 7
What will I learn?
If you are looking for a career in nursing, this could be the course for you. This course provide practical skills and theoretical knowledge in clinical settings. The HNC is a recognised entry qualification for study progression to Adult, Mental Health, Child and Learning Disability Nursing and midwifery.
You'll learn about:
- Essential Skills for Care Practice
- Safe Working Practice for Care
- Individual Pathways in Health and Social Care
- Principles of Professional Practice
- Sociology for Care Practice
- Therapeutic Relationships: Understanding Behaviour
- Understanding Personal and Professional Development
This course also includes a mandatory work placement within NHS Scotland. Shift patterns are a requirement including 12-hour shifts
What qualifications do I need?
You will need:
- Two Higher’s (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English plus level 5 Numeracy Unit.
Other entry qualifications include:
- Higher Care at grade C or above
- Access to Nursing
- SVQ 3 Health and Social Care may also be considered.
You will also be considered if you have successfully achieved a Social Services & Healthcare Foundation Apprenticeship with one other Higher (preferably English) plus Numeracy/Life Skills Math’s at level 5.
For a place on the course, you will need to:
- Write a personal statement
- Provide two references
- Attend an interview and bring along proof of your qualifications
You must be eligible to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme and undertake an NHS occupational health screening.
What can I do after?
After successfully completing this course you will have the knowledge, skills and qualifications needed to apply for a job with the NHS at Clinical Framework Level 3, or to work as a care worker in the public or private sector.
Or you could develop your skills further by studying another course, such as:
- Nursing Degree
- Social Work Degree
- Allied Health programmes
- Midwifery subject to University entry requirements
Please be aware that each university entry criteria may vary in regards to maths or numeracy You are advised to find out your preferred university’s entry requirements prior to commencing this course.