About Distance Learning
Distance Learning with West College Scotland gives you the flexibility to study in a way that suits your lifestyle and commitments.
Special offer from 20 February to 31 March*
Buy one get one free
Enrol on two auto marked online courses and the discount will be applied when processing your payment:
- Creating Menus for Profit
- History of the Modern Menu
- Introduction to Assessment and Evaluation
- Administration of Medicines
- Basic Electrical Awareness
- Introduction to Coaching
- Introduction to Caring for Children
- Introduction to Counselling (DL)
- Introduction to Communication Skills
- Introduction to Customer Care
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Food Safety
- Awareness of First Aid
- Introduction to Guidance and Support
- Health and Wellbeing
- HIV and Hepatitis B and C
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Awareness of Health and Safety
- Infection Control in a Care Setting
- Introduction to Construction Skills
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Training Needs Analysis
- Successful Job Hunting
- Introduction to Learning and Development
- Introduction to Financial Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Moving and Assisting in a Care Setting
- Introduction to Photography
- Play, Development and Learning
- Promoting Positive Behaviour in Children
- Plan, Prepare and Deliver Training
- Promotion of Child Health
- Personal Care
- Introduction to Personal Development
- Introduction to Retail
Enrol on one NCFE level 2 online course and the discount will be applied when processing your payment:
- Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice and Guidance (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Business Administration Knowledge (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Customer Service (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Care and Management of Diabetes (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Dignity and Safeguarding in Adult Health and Social Care (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Equality and Diversity Online (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Team Leading Knowledge (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism (NCFE)
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (NCFE)
*For residents in Scotland only. Applies to all our auto marked online course (regular price: £30 per course) from 20 February 2017 to 31 March 2017. NCFE level 2 online qualification with tutor marking will be offered at half price (£30 instead of £60 regular price) during the duration of the sale.
Study where and when it suits you
For twenty years, West College Scotland has pioneered Distance Learning in Scottish education. We offer a wide range of courses which you can study in a way which suits you. You might be in a job and looking to improve your qualifications or you may want to study in your leisure time.
Distance Learning is also a great way to return to education.
For further information on any aspect of Distance Learning, click on the button below.
Why choose distance learning?
- A wide range of courses
- More choice and flexibility
- Great tutor support
- Improved career prospects
- A dedicated department
- Study anywhere at anytime
- Develop your skills
- On-going support when course is complete
Distance learning FAQs
We know you might have questions about Distance Learning. We've done our best to try to answer them.
Our Distance Learning staff will provide you with information to help you organise the financial side of being a student. Please note: you can only undertake a course once when using a fee waiver. If you do not complete the course satisfactorily within the allotted time, and wish to try again, you will have to pay the full fee for the course.
For many courses no qualifications or experience are necessary. The Distance Learning staff will tell you if any qualifications are needed for your choice of study.
Contact the Distance Learning Unit to see if anything can be done.
Most courses will have their study and assessment resources available through Moodle -- the College's Virtual Learning Environment. For some qualifications you will need more traditional materials, such as books and tapes. These will be available from your personal tutor and will be sent through the post.
Our students tell us that support from those close to them is very important, so we would encourage you to tell them about your course and what you want to achieve. With their help you can still have a social life while still studying effectively and achieving your goals!
This will vary depending on the level and type of course you undertake. A good rule of thumb is that for every hour spent doing ‘class’ work (assignments etc.) one hour should be spent doing ‘private’ study. The Distance Learning staff and your personal tutor will be able to give you more information tailored to your specific qualification.
You will be able to submit coursework via email or post. Depending on your course, assessments may be done online, on paper or in college. The Distance Learning staff and your personal tutor will be able to tell you more about the arrangements for your course.
Speak up! Feedback can be given via email, chatroom and phone. If necessary, you can arrange a private meeting with your personal tutor to discuss any questions or problems.